I’ve always been one to spend time alone. When I was younger, I would go outside and spend hours in the woods behind my parents’ house. As I got older I found I needed time to be alone to think and process my life. Now, I find with all the constant distractions from my smartphone and computer that I just have to spend time alone almost every day. Being alone is a complete necessity in my life, and I think that everybody needs to do it every now and then. Keep reading to find out why.
What does it really mean to spend time alone?
As I just mentioned above, we live in a world where we are constantly connected. Our phones are buzzing and our Facebook messenger is dinging. I’m not dissing technology—it has done so many great things for us that we cannot try to say it is not good for our society. But, what I am saying is constantly being connected does not give us the space we need to disconnect and be in solitude.
You need to take your time to be alone. By being alone I don’t mean with your smartphone in your hand. Or being alone with the TV on in the background. Or being alone while actively doing other things. I mean being alone and getting to know yourself. Taking the time to introspectively think about what matters to you. Figuring out what your hopes and dreams are. What scares you. What aspects you would like to change in your life. What you are good at. All these kinds of things. This is the kind of being alone you need to do.
So, why do I think you should spend time alone?
I know there are plenty of you that are nodding your head in agreement with me, because you already do spend time alone and know how necessary that space is to grow and develop in your life. I also know there are plenty of you reading this who don’t understand why you need to spend that time alone. I totally get it, because being alone can seem absolutely terrifying if you aren’t used to it.
It’s easier to just shut our minds off and scroll through our Facebook app than deal with our own inner thoughts and emotions. That may be the easier way to deal with things—but it definitely isn’t going to make you feel happier in your life. The easier way will also not help you to recharge yourself which is so needed in our world of constant contact. There are a bunch of amazing benefits to spending time alone. Let me share my favorite ones with you.
The benefits of spending time alone
1. Being alone will help you to develop your beliefs of who you are as a person. You will be able to stay strong in what you believe in because you will have the time to think about the topics and things that matter in your life. This will also help you in dealing with peer pressure, because you will know who you are and what you stand for as a person.
2. Being alone will help you to recharge yourself. This is especially needed in times when you are feeling stressed out. Once you recharge, you will be able to tackle any obstacle that comes your way with grace.
3. Being alone will give you the chance to get in touch with your emotions. Really feeling your emotions when you are happy, sad, angry and fearful will help you to grow and develop towards reaching your greatest potential.
4. Being alone will teach you that you are in charge of your own life and destiny. Taking the time to be introspective will allow you to see that you’re in the driver’s seat of life and steering towards whatever direction you want to go.
5. Being alone will allow you to stop seeking validation from others. This is a big one. Unfortunately, we will always have people who do not believe in us or our dreams. But, by spending time alone, you will realize you do not need validation from others because you know your self-worth and what is true in your heart.
6. Being alone will help you to feel something deeper in you. Listen to what your intuition tells you. What your heart says. Find peace in the stillness of being in solitude. Embrace that feeling—that is your soul speaking to you.
Remember that spending time alone allows us to quiet our mind from the dizzying world that we’re constantly connected to. Learn to be your best friend. Have fun with yourself! I believe there is no greater gift than really getting to know ourselves. If you are still wary of spending time alone then just start small with a few minutes. It will do you wonders to help clear your mind.
Now you tell me. What are the best benefits you get from being alone? Make sure you let me know on social media or below on the comments!